This year’s event featured a concert, a scavenger hunt in the Community Garden Orchard, exploration and nature art in the Children’s Garden, garden games, harvesting for the food bank, a ride-on kiddie tractor corral, and other kids activities.
A big thanks to everyone who attended this year!
Day of Caring – Sept. 18, 2015 – Microsoft Crew – 1
On Friday, September 18th, as part of the “Day of Caring” event organized by United Way, a group of 22 volunteers from Microsoft spent the morning working on clearing the paths and weeding at the Magnuson Community Garden! As you can see from the photos, a lot of fun was had and the weather cooperated.
On behalf of everyone at the Magnuson Community Garden, thank you!
As of August 22, 2015, Magnuson’s p-patch program has donated 2,800 lbs. of produce! This high total means that it’s likely we’ll surpass our last year’s end of year total of 3,300 lbs.!
A couple reminders from Chris Budech, Magnuson’s p-patch coordinator:
- If you need back-up harvesting, contact Chris or your pod leader.
- If the weather is cooler, it’s ok to put veggies like zucchini, squash, beans and maybe under-ripe tomatoes in the food bank shed a couple of days early if you can’t make the eve before or day of delivery.
- Deliveries are Mondays and Fridays at 9:30am.
Tasks will include watering common areas, finishing weeding and sheet mulching common paths.
beautiful yellow zucchini plant
A favorite of many – maybe because it’s so easy to grow! – is the zucchini. Good soil, regular water and plenty of sunshine and with just a couple of zucchini plants, one can end up with plenty throughout the summer. The only challenge is figuring out what to do with them!
Here’s a list of some uses for zucchini.
- pasta sauce – zucchini seems to go really well in pasta sauce, alongside red onions, mushrooms and peppers
- stir fry
- zucchini bread – One of my favorites! Last summer, I started making it gluten-free, with coconut sugar and while it is a little drier (due to the coconut sugar) than normal zucchini bread made with regular sugar, it’s really good!
- zucchini chocolate cake – yes!
- zucchini Turkish pancakes with feta, green onions, parsley and walnuts (Original recipe found on the PCC website. Please note that to make the pancakes gluten-free, you can just swap out the flour with an all-purpose gluten-free flour.)
If anything additional comes to mind, please leave a comment!