There are a lot of things going on in the Children’s Garden this fall!
- Saturday, September 10th from 10 am – 2 pm: Seattle Works TeamWorks stewardship event – Help make mosaic bricks for our new Butterfly Garden, complete its perennial plantings and more!
- Friday September 23rd from 9:00 am – 1:00 pm: annual United Way Day of Caring volunteer event in the Magnuson Children’s Garden and P-Patch, with a group from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation giving the garden a “fall spruce up” just in time for the Oct 1st Scarecrow Fest!
- Saturday October 1st from 11 am – 2 pm: The annual Scarecrow Fest! In partnership with Magnuson Community Center, we’ll host our usual array of family-friendly activities, such as worm bin exploration, nature art, plus Scarecrow Fest favorites such as the orchard maze/scavenger hunt, Bluegrass band, harvesting for the food back, and much, much more!
- Saturday, October 8th from 10 am – 2pm: Seattle Works TeamWorks stewardship event – This last major event of the year will be about preparing the garden beds, tool shed, and other areas for winter!
For general information about the Children’s Garden at Magnuson, visit the Children’s Garden page.
For complete listings of events, see the Children’s Garden Events and Calendar page.
Seattle Tilth’s annual Harvest Fair can be described as a country fair in the city.
Co-presented with PCC Natural Markets, Harvest Fair is on Saturday, August 6, 10 a.m.-4 p.m., at Meridian Park (4850 Meridian Ave N., Seattle).
A family friendly event, Harvest Fair offers fun opportunities for people of all ages. Take a turn at The Central Co-op Cider Press, snuggle a goat or chicken at the urban farm area, or make an aromatic herb crown to wear festively around the grounds — connecting you to similar traditions across the planet and throughout history.
At the demonstration tent, learn new kitchen and garden tips that you can try at home:
10:30 a.m. Worm Bin Demonstration
11:30 a.m. Learn How to Make Kombucha
1 p.m. Beneficial Bug BINGO — win prizes!
2 p.m. Herb Sodas and Herb Salts for Kids
3 p.m. Cooking Demo: Papas Dulce and Kale
Stock up on ripe produce at the height of the season: organic farm stands will be overflowing with fresh, deliciousproduce such as peaches, berries and cucumbers — perfect for making jams, pickles and other canned goods. Vendors will be selling native and edible plants, garden supplies and hand made goods. Enjoy tasty food and live music!
It’s free but donations are encouraged at entrances to help cover expenses. Details can be found here.
Greenstage Productions will be presenting Shakespeare in the amphitheater at Magnuson Park next Thursday through Sunday.
- ‘Merry Wives of Windsor’ : Thursday, Aug. 4 at 7PM, Saturday Aug. 6 at 7PM and Sunday Aug. 7 at 3PM
- ‘Cymbeline’ on Friday Aug. 5 at 7PM, Saturday Aug. 6 at 3PM
A P Patch work party is scheduled for this Thursday, July 28th, 6:30 to 8:00pm.
Leaders: Renee Amies and Caitlane Gangstad
Tasks: continued work on perimeter gravel path
As always, this is a great way to meet your garden neighbors and get some volunteer hours.
This Saturday’s work party is scheduled for 9am to 1pm!
Due to the national holiday on Monday, July 4th, there will be no food bank delivery that day.
For updates on pounds (of produce from our p-patch) donated so far, check out the white board on the east side of the shed.
Due to inclement weather, the work party scheduled for this evening has been cancelled.
A P Patch work party is scheduled for this Thursday, June 23rd from 6:30 – 8pm.
Leader: Renee Aimes
Work will be focused on the gravel path that goes through the middle of the garden.
Rain is predicted for the morning, but hopefully not all day!
We are very appreciative to Seattle Works and PitchBook! Fourteen volunteer gardeners from PitchBook worked at the p patch on Saturday, June 18th! Thank you!
One of Magnuson Community Garden’s food bank plots one evening in early June 2016…
Last summer, Magnuson Community Garden donated close to 5,000 lbs of fresh, organic produce – more any other Seattle area p patch – to local Seattle area food banks!
FYI – Gardeners can donate from their own p patch garden plots. Delivery to Magnuson Transitional housing is on Mondays, with drivers leaving at 9:30am to make deliveries. Delivery to Lake City Food Bank is on Fridays, with drivers leaving at 9:30am.
Produce can be left in the north side of the shed. There is no need to weigh or log produce; drivers will do that.
Produce such as leafy greens, should be left the night before or morning of a scheduled delivery. Other longer lasting vegetables can be left earlier.
Food from our garden ready to be delivered…
For more information, please contact Magnuson Community Garden’s Food Bank Coordinator Chris Budech (cbudech “at” gmail.com).