The Magnuson Children’s Garden Committee hosts a variety of FREE monthly events in the garden and nature walks in the park from spring to fall each year:
- Family Garden Days: Drop-in garden and nature exploration activities for the whole family to enjoy!
- Community Stewardship Events: Drop in for an hour or two of easy and simple gardening for all ages and abilities, and we provide all gloves and tools!
- Family Garden Classes: A learning experience for parents and children together, with hands-on activities and take-home projects!
- Nature Walks: Visits to natural areas such as the Magnuson Wetlands, Promontory Point, and more!
We welcome you to attend these fun and educational events, and to visit the Children’s Garden any time for self-guided adventures. For more info, or to subscribe to our free “Magnuson Nature News” monthly e-newsletter, visit www.magnusonchildrensgarden.org.
While it’s still technically summer, it’s a good time to start thinking about cover crops!
Planting a cover crop is a great way to improve soil quality during the off season. Benefits include controlling weeds and recycling Nitrogen, attracting beneficial insects, controlling for erosion,and in the case of legumes, actually adding Nitrogen to the soil.
From crimson clover to mustard, winter rye grain and buckwheat, there are many options.
For assistance in deciding what is best for your garden this fall, a good resource is the Territorial Seed Company 2015 Fall & Winter Gardening Catalog Cover Crop Chart.
There are a lot of things going on in the Children’s Garden this fall!
- Saturday, September 10th from 10 am – 2 pm: Seattle Works TeamWorks stewardship event – Help make mosaic bricks for our new Butterfly Garden, complete its perennial plantings and more!
- Friday September 23rd from 9:00 am – 1:00 pm: annual United Way Day of Caring volunteer event in the Magnuson Children’s Garden and P-Patch, with a group from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation giving the garden a “fall spruce up” just in time for the Oct 1st Scarecrow Fest!
- Saturday October 1st from 11 am – 2 pm: The annual Scarecrow Fest! In partnership with Magnuson Community Center, we’ll host our usual array of family-friendly activities, such as worm bin exploration, nature art, plus Scarecrow Fest favorites such as the orchard maze/scavenger hunt, Bluegrass band, harvesting for the food back, and much, much more!
- Saturday, October 8th from 10 am – 2pm: Seattle Works TeamWorks stewardship event – This last major event of the year will be about preparing the garden beds, tool shed, and other areas for winter!
For general information about the Children’s Garden at Magnuson, visit the Children’s Garden page.
For complete listings of events, see the Children’s Garden Events and Calendar page.
This year’s event featured a concert, a scavenger hunt in the Community Garden Orchard, exploration and nature art in the Children’s Garden, garden games, harvesting for the food bank, a ride-on kiddie tractor corral, and other kids activities.
A big thanks to everyone who attended this year!